1.3K views

Update by user Dec 15, 2014

The attached pics are of the love seat that was delivered December 8, 2014.

Original review posted by user Dec 15, 2014

We ordered a new living room set manufactured by Design 2 Recline (AKA) Southern Motion on January 20, 2014.Defective and/or damaged furniture was delivered on April 7, 2014.

The seams were pulling apart, exposing the white inner material. Doughty's Furniture requested that we temporarily accept the furniture for inspection and guaranteed a brand new replacement set. Doughty's wanted to examine the furniture to determine if it was defective or damaged during shipping. As a result, we TEMPORARILY accepted the furniture and discarded our old set because of space limitations.

Defective and/or damaged replacement furniture was delivered on June 23, 2014, October 20, 2014 and December 08, 2014. Doughty's is now refusing to deliver new furniture in good condition as ordered and paid for; which is not requiring reconditioning. Furthermore, Doughty's has scheduled pick up of the living room set for December 22, 2014. I reminded Nancy, the Customer Service Rep for Doughty's, that we had to discard our old furniture to comply with their request of accepting the first defective and/or damaged living room set back on April 7, 2014.

Nancy told me that Doughty's was not concerned with how this situation was going to affect our holidays and refused to delay the pick up until after the New Years holiday.

I contacted Customer Service at Design 2 Recline (AKA) Southern Motion at 662-488-9301 on December 12, 2014. I spoke to a person who identified herself as Donna at Customer Service. Donna confirmed that Design 2 Recline and Southern Motion are the same company and that they go by different names at the various retailers.

Donna did some research and could not find any documentation that mentioned our name, location or Doughty's Furniture ordering a replacement set in our model and fabric. Donna stated that if Doughty's Furniture would take the appropriate steps with Design 2 Recline (AKA) Southern Motion, that we would receive a brand new living room set that would be in an acceptable condition to us. Unfortunately, she advised that their company policy is not to deal directly with the customer, regardless if the retailer is part of the problem.

No further assistance was offered by Design 2 Recline (AKA) Southern Motion.

Reason of review: Damaged or defective.

Preferred solution: Deliver product or service ordered.

I liked: Great job assembling furniture, Delivery was on time.

I didn't like: Attitude 4 refusing reconditioned, Defective or damaged furniture, Time to resolve problems, No concern 4 inconveniences caused, Complaining about costs to resolve.

Had an Experience with Design 2 Recline?

Comments

Dayton, Ohio, United States #941930

You took 4 deliveries and all of them were defective? That tells me their furniture is badly made, period. Seriously I would have gotten a refund two deliveries ago and gone elsewhere.

to Anonymous Bridgeton, New Jersey, United States #943121

That option was not offered by the retailer at that time.The retailer, Doughtys Furniture, only gave two options, repair or replace.

I submitted a detailed posting on this website about Doughtys Furniture's actions. However, Pissed Consumer deleted that posting because it had some similarities with my Design 2 Recline posting. Each posting focused on either the manufacture's or retailer's actions. My intention was to mainly complain about Doughtys Furniture, the company that I filed a Better Business Bureau complaint against.

I only posted about Design 2 Recline to let people know that they are the same company as the well known Southern Motion. However, when I explained this to Pissed Consumer, they refused to re-post my Doughtys Furniture's posting.

My confidence in Pissed Consumer has been destroyed as a result of their refusal.

to Anonymous Bridgeton, New Jersey, United States #943125

The above posting was from SJDude. I have no clue why it indicated Anonymous.